Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September 11th - Six Years Later -

I know. I know.
I still can't bring myself to talk about it directly.

Thanks to those of you who emailed me today asking why my post of yesterday, September 11th was about a parrot's sudden death. Instead of the obvious.
(Alex's death is substantial!!)

As I said in replies to you, it is because the whole memory of September 11, 2001 brings back such painful emotions and memories for me.
I mentioned the sixth anniversary of that terrible day back on Saturday or Sunday...

Before that day six years ago, I knew only the minimum about Islam. I knew that Muslims hated the Jews for some reason. About the Taliban in Afghanistan, I knew that they chose to destroy two, centuries-old images of the Buddha carved out of rock. I thought that was sad, but that's all I knew.

That was enough for me.

But since then, like all of you as well, I have learned alot about Islam, about Muhammad and his book, the Koran, and the countries today which follow that creed. Nearly every book, nearly every website that I visit now speaks of Islam and the dangers it incorporates; and 50% of my emails are from 'Islam Awareness' sites, like the American Congress for Truth and Jihadwatch.

I was 10 years old when the American Embassy in Tehran, Iran was overtaken, and Americans there were held for 444 days. But while I was aware of all that, 10-year-olds are so much more aware of baseball, hunting, and turtles than international politics and terrorism.

I remember that these Americans were released on the day that Ronald Reagan was inaugurated, but I also remember thinking that Reagan must be some kind of A Bad Ass, for them to release them then.

I guess that was my first introduction to American politics, and to political parties...
A nice introduction, since I am so very fond of the Reagan years, and of the man. Yeah, I still believe he was a Bad Ass! Exactly what America needed, needs.


More clearly however, I remember being on my knees praying to G*D, on the evening of September 11th, 2001. Thinking that this was the end of the world, as spoken of in the book of Revelations. I still believe that this time is the time spoken of in Revelations. And I remember not liking Muslim people. Not certain Muslims, but all of them.

And I remember thinking that the new President of the United States would search the world over for Osama bin Laden. I imagined it to be like a rabbit hunt- sniffing around and searching everywhere until we had him. (Rabbit hunters know what I mean!!) When the United States went to war with Afghanistan, I was positive that Osama bin Laden would soon be killed, his followers, "al Qaeda" would soon be dead, and it would be over.

But days turned into weeks, turned into months. The debris that once was the World Trade Centre towers still were being removed and cleaned up from the streets of lower Manhattan. The anger in the eyes of all my friends and associates for Muslims was soon tamed. Still our military had not captured bin Laden. Al Qaeda was still viable. And 'Muslim extremists' were now the politically correct label for the evil bombers in Madrid, Spain and London and Bali and Copenhagen.

It was somehow wrong then, to accuse Islam, the "religion of peace", for all the troubles begun by extremists. Because every religion had it's share of literalists, it's share of extremists....
That was the standard which we all were meant to take-- that it was only the Muslim extremists...


Well pardon me if I disagree!! I sincerely doubt extremist Methodists or Presbyterians or Buddhists would skyjack 4 airliners, and fly them into buildings!! Not even extremist Baptists would do that.


And suddenly, once again I was a 10-year-old. Thinking and eating up what I was told to think and to eat, not by parents this time, but by my all-knowing and benevolent federal government. And white father, President George Bush chose to move the war into Iraq instead; rather than finish the rabbit hunt in Afghanistan or in Pakistan that our nation begged for, needed, the war went to Iraq, and our new enemy was Saddam Hussein.

President Bush somehow distracted the nation then into waging a war in Iraq.
We captured Saddam in a spider hole. Tried him. Hanged him.


But our war in Iraq goes on. "Al Qaeda in Iraq" now is our big enemy, somehow.


But I don't remember the U.S. finishing off "Al Qaeda in Afghanistan" first.
Is there a more valuable lesson that can be learned from this?


Has Al Qaeda succeeded in 'dividing and conquering' American and Allied forces?
We are in both Afghanistan and in Iraq-- and in neither theatre of war have we succeeded.


Both the Localmalcontent's good friends and his faithful readers of this blog well know how I feel about the United States' treatment of Saddam Hussein-- (we screwed up magnificently there~)-- instead of using him as our tool in that Muslim region, we kill him. We embrace one Muslim dictator (Musharrif), as we execute another. We could have had two regional thugs at our disposal.... but noooo, we need to see some blood, see some death somewhere, on our television sets as proof that the, our war on terrorism is going well. "Showing positive results".

Bullshit.

How things have changed in exactly six years time. We've had two video messages this week from Osama bin Laden; and while I suspect that he is dead, we did not kill him for the atrocities and bloodshed of innocents in Manhattan and Washington, D.C., and in Shanksville, Pennsylvania on that morning, six years ago.

Osama, whether living or dead, is still capable of leading ignorant Muslim men and women, boys and girls to suicidal jihad.


Had we captured him, had we tried him and hanged him, -while he still may have been a poster boy for jihad, he would have still been killed; and that aspect of his life, being captured and killed by us, might have been enough to keep some Muslims from becoming jihadist nuts.

I don't even know if that last sentence makes sense. Osama dead as a result of our superior power, good thing; and less of an idol to mimic.
Or alive, even maybe alive, and a greater idol to mimic. Bad thing.

Obviously.
So the death today of a gifted, intelligent bird is a sad thing. A wholesome, still sad remembrance. A memory of a bird who brought us lightness, laughter, smiles.

Today, quietly, I honored the memory of 2,931 of my friends who died that day, as well as the 3,600 service men and women who have sacrificed all they had for me.
For you. For us all.

No comments: