Sunday, October 21, 2007

Welcome To the Home by The Sea



Written by Phil Collins. Performed by Genesis. Loved, lived, hated, and feared by me.


Creeping up the blind side, shinning up the wall
Stealing thru the dark of night
Climbing thru a window, stepping to the floor
Checking to the left and the right
Picking up the pieces, putting them away
Something doesnt feel quite right
Help me someone, let me out of here
Then out of the dark was suddenly heard
"Welcome to the home by the sea"

Coming out the woodwork, thru the open door
Pushing from above and below
Shadows but no substance, in the shape of men
Round and down and sideways they go
Adrift without direction, eyes that hold despair
Then as one they sign and they moan

Help us someone, let us out of here
Living here so long undisturbed
Dreaming of the time we were free
So many years ago
Before the time when we first heard
"Welcome to the home by the sea"
Sit down sit down
Sit down sit down sit down
As we relive our lives in what we tell you

Images of sorrow, pictures of delight
Things that go to make up a life
Endless days of summer longer nights of gloom
Waiting for the morning light

Scenes of unimportance, photos in a frame
Things that go to make up a life
Help us someone, let us out of here
Cos living here so long undisturbed
Dreaming of the time we were free
So many years ago
Before the time when we first heard

"Welcome to the home by the sea"
Sit down sit down
Sit down sit down sit down sit down
As we relive out lives in what we tell you
Let us relive out lives in what we tell you

Sit down sit down sit down
Cos you wont get away
No with us you will stay
For the rest of your days - sit down
As we relive our lives in what we tell you
Let us relive our lives in what we tell you
Ooohhhh.......

Somewhere on the Internet is my true story of my haunted apartment, when I lived in Norman in the late 1980s.   It is all true, and it happened exactly as I wrote, there, remembered here.

I had a wonderful basement apartment for three+plus years, as an OU student.
And it was haunted by a congenial ghost or ghosts.
Most memorable of the four or five instances when we, the ghosts and I, intermingled, was this disturbing occurance:
I was sound asleep in bed one night, when suddenly, the stereo in the livingroom suddenly turned itself on. I know, remember for a fact that I had turned it off the night before, as the radio station I loved so much then, KOCC, the jazz station of Oklahoma City Comm. College, went off the air at midnight.

As I said, I lay in bed asleep, and awoke when the stereo came on by itself, at about 3 am or so. The stereo played only one song, loud, then went back to 'off'.

That one song was "Welcome to the Home By The Sea". Above.

A song about a haunted house, which was being burglarized, in the dead of night.
But something awful was about to happen to the burglar: He was to become prisioner, trapped there, helpless, as the ghosts, also trapped there, "let us relive our lives, in what we tell you," held him captive.

As mentioned, there were other instances when I felt, or I saw the ghost of that place. And the story of all of them is currently elsewhere on the Web, as a ghost story of the month.

It is here, if you want to read about my haunted past:    http://www.castleofspirits.com/stories05/bythesea.html 

Now, almost three decades later from that pleasant time in my haunted apartment, I still am the prisoner, being forced to relive their lives, my life, our lives, in what we tell you.

I have never escaped, really, from that Home by the Sea, at the corner of Eufaula Street and Santa Fe Avenue. No, I am still there... Spirit. Another ghost, wishing to be free.
Now, that corner is a well kept part of the First Baptist Church of Norman parking lot.
But the ghosts, and me too, are still waiting, not living, there. In fact, we've never parted.

For no one really ever leaves.

Sit down, sit down, sit down.... as I relive my life, in what I tell you.
They are with me again now here, Oohhhh

2 comments:

Red S Tater said...

hey thats scary stuff dude...knock it off, you're freakin' me out.

oh yeah, it is nearly Halloween after all...never mind, great post. Still freaked out though.

I'll tell ya' the story about 409SE 23rd here in OKC...
It was my grandparents house when I was young, my grandfather past away from a heart attack in the living room and my grandmother died a couple of years after at Mercy Hospital. I spent nearly every available weekend at their house until about 6th grade or so...when he died.

Jump forward 20 years...(mid 80's) I was down here (from Colorado) visiting relatives and decided to take my son and daughter by there to show them where I had learned to roller skate, ride a bike...you know.

We stopped out front for a second and I was kinda' pointing around at familiar trees I used to climb etc and noticed that the people who then lived in the house were peeking out the door to see what we were doing... so I shut off the car and got out to just let them know I wasn't "casing the joint".(lol)

After telling the man of the house who I was, they immediately (almost) dragged me inside to "talk".

You see, the house was haunted.
There were two rooms that they would not even go in at night.
Every family member had seen the ghost... a man, older and with a non threatening persona...they were totally convinced of this fact.

I reassured them that if somehow it had anything to do with my grandfather that not-to-worry he was a former OKla lawman and all-round good guy. This news didn't seem to help them much, but it was all I had and left feeling pretty freaked out by the whole thing.

Jump forward 10-12 years to 1997.
Curious, I drove by again (by myself this time) and to my surprise the house was completely gone! Just a fairly vacant lot...with a big dent where the house used to be.

I noticed the next door neighbor (a house we pretended was haunted when I was young) came out to see what I was doing and informed me that they now owned the lot and urged me to come inside to "talk".

She told me haunted stories about my grandparents house for an hour... how at night there would be lights on in spite of no power being on and the house being borded up... stories of people in the windows looking out... but nobody there when they checked. One night the house mysteriously caught fire and burned to the ground.

Finally she told me that they had actually hired a psychic to come out and walk around to see what everyone felt when they were there.

The psychic was unable to really tell them anything concrete, but had some concerns about an area where the old storm cellar used to be. They are convinced the property is still haunted to this day.

I'll tell you one thing... considering that neighborhood nowadays... (rough is putting it mildly) they better be some pretty tough ghosts... but if it is my grandfather, he was as tough as they came.

Not really that scary.... unless you saw the faces of those people.

When I drive by there now, I just smile and say hi to whoever is haunting 409se 23rd.

-red

The Localmalcontent said...

My friend, that is an Amazing story! Chilling, to read what both the new residents, and then the neighbor said about your gramps' home.

Being a Christian, us both infact, it is never easy to admit to seeing or believing in ghosts. And sometimes it boils down to being fearful of getting called 'a nut', or a heretic.
Let's only chalk it up the the mystery that is G-D, as well as mankind's blessing of free will.

But what I saw and what I heard, experienced there at 211 So. Santa Fe, Norman is not imagination. But past that, who knows??

Just a terrific ghost story, Red. Thanks.