Sunday, November 18, 2007

1 Corinthians 13

We all find many fine organizations doing great work, to which we may give our time or our money or both. Causes which concern the health and wellbeing of children, our military, the abused women of ill-tempered men, are some I'm passionate about. They catch my eye, and my check, when I can.


Yet there is another which I've had direct experience with, and have seen the dignity of, and heartily endorse, despite it's being in Arkansas. LOL It is the Hospice program of the Area Agency on Aging of Arkansas.

Hospice programs deal with patients who are facing the end of their lives, sometimes expectedly, after a long, happy life, or sometimes abruptly, in the middle of a life. Typically, a person is referred to a hospice program when they have been diagnosed with only 6 months or less to live. Without question, this shock to the system needs all the support, all the love, all the answers to the questions of a lifetime.




In the experience of my friend Doug, who was the happiest person I'd ever met, it meant that Hospice was there anytime he wanted or needed-- to help lift him out of bed, or into the shower, making sure he had the proper wheel chair for his growing needs or to make him a bacon sandwich. To assist in facing that terrifying yet inevitable result of disease, with class, laughter and in any way he needed. Doug: December 5, 1956 - February 5, 2005

Hospice workers are angels. They do not preach, they do not come on board with a standard outline of how things should go; instead, they are wonderfully adapted to go with the flow, stacking firewood or putting up the last Christmas tree, or specializing in the patient's favorite comfort foods, regardless of how bad for the diet. Taking them out to fun surroundings, on drives to see the sights, or whatever-- these angels of Hospice add life to life, before the gentle end of life.

Please consider making a contribution to a local Hospice provider in this season of thanksgiving, of love, and or to the Area Agency on Aging of Arkansas.

5 comments:

Red S Tater said...

Excellent suggestion mal, I support and applaud your efforts... checking to find the Hospice in OKC.

The Localmalcontent said...

By giving a local hospice a donation of your choosing, you help to assist dying persons, to go peaceably, to go calmly.

I've wept for three hours since adding this: Doug was just an incredible person, himself a caring, nursing-home administrator, before being afflictled with a rare, nerve-destroying, deadly disease.
I was invited to the Christmas party at Doug's house in 2004, a huge party which celebrated hope and life and Jesus Christ, only 42 days before he died. Where we laughed at any old thing, unconcerned, just in the moment. His male Hospice aide made over-the-top efforts to comfort his life, for which I will always revere, support him, and the AAA of A.

If I live to see March 9, 2017, I will be undeservedly older than Doug Stanfill. Another day that I will be saddened, and cry uncontrollably, but still Thank God for that life touching mine.

Red S Tater said...

As long as you are alive, Doug is alive through your memories and thoughts of him.

May God be with you mal in this very tough time, Doug was very very fortunate to have friends such as yourself... and I suspect he knows that better than anyone.

Please accept our deepest condolences
and praise for your words about this friend, this man, that though I have never met, I respect for having impressed you so very much.

God Bless ya' mal.

The Localmalcontent said...

Condolences? Fer what?

Weeping to see Doug's photo, today.

Otherwise, he remains the happiest person I've ever met. And knowing, remembering him makes me happy! Our loss is heaven's gain.
Look at those fake Coke-bottle glasses he'd wear, for a gag...

Red S Tater said...

Of course. My only intent was to support you at a time of loss. Those of us left behind are to be pitied and feel sorrow for.

The better half lost her Grandmother last week, she lived a full life, no regrets and just decided to go... she looked at her daughter (better halfs mom) and said... "I'm tired"... closed her eyes and that was it.

Thats the way I wanna go if given the choice.
Anyway, please let us know if we can help in any way.
I mean that most sincerely.