Friday, November 2, 2007

It's all 'Lovingly Lifted From'

Taking a page from Oklahoma Lefty, and from Red S. Tater, who did this same kinda terrific post last month, I have to put up my music as well.

But finding any You Tube videos of Scott Joplin music would be a real challenge- or so I thought. To my real surprise, I found so many videos of different pianists playing many of Joplin's rags that I very pleasantly found myself auditioning them.

Them all. Noo problemo!

And I have awarded the 'prize' to this piano player: Andy Koehler. Mr. Koehler is not a professional pianist, but he is talented, and he understands 'tempo' (*at least the tempo which Scott Joplin intended for his compositions), and he PLAYS THEM ALL BY HEART. With heart, too. Just look at all that sheet music in front of him!

First, he will perform a piece called "The Ragtime Dance", from 1906. This is the first thing I hear every morning, as it's the song on my alarm clock/CD player. It is upbeat and cheerful, the best way for me to start a day. Please to enjoy:




This next piece is the "Gladioulus Rag", circa 1907. And Mr. Koehler's favorite.




And last, since I try not to bore anyone with my strange fascination with the music of Scott Joplin, is the "Heliotrope Bouquet"also from 1907, 100 years ago.




Well, that's my secret to staying happy. Joplin, every day. If one has to have a song in one's heart, these sure do the trick for the Local Not-So-Malcontent.

Information on the International Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival in Sedalia, Missouri, can be found at ScottJoplin.org.

More of the same kind of great, happy, old-timey music can be found at the link to the Right ("A Local Malcontent Kind of Music"): My buddy Bryan Wright's Live365.com music site.
All for free? you may ask... Yeah, this is America!!


OH, all right, I'll put up just one more. Stop twisting my arm!

But this one is a Surprise... It IS from the Joplin Festival, but it is not a Scott Joplin composition.
But it will be so familiar to you all. Can You... Name That Tune? (from 1915!)



Peace Out.

5 comments:

CGHill said...

Seriously lovely stuff. I didn't discover Joplin until Joshua Rifkin put out an LP of piano rags around 1970, which I didn't hear until around 1974, by which time The Sting had already come out and made a hit of "The Entertainer," albeit at a slow, damn near lugubrious, tempo. (One of the few advantages of being this old is that I've had more time to catch up on everything I missed since the dawn of time, which is just about everything.)

The Localmalcontent said...

Thanks, Charles! Yes it is exquisite stuff, Joplin rags; all of it jolly, happy:

"Music hath charms to soothe the savage beast"

The Localmalcontent said...

What? No guesses as to the name of the music in the last video?

I promise, no more soggy tacos as prizes or anything

Colb_OSU said...

I work at Eskimo Joe's here in Stillwater, and that song, that last one, is on one of the songs played inside the restuarant here.
Its called Nola. Customers come to us waiter staff and ask what that song is called when it plays.

The Localmalcontent said...

Good One, Colb- exactly right first time~!

Man, I wish you could kick field goals as well as you can recall obscure music- OSU needed that missed-field goal yesterday in the 4th Qtr.

you come by anytime, Colb!