Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thoughts on Tonight's Republican Debate

So that's what a debate is, in the CNN-Youtube age.

Watched the Republican debate on CNN.com tonight, and I thought that it was pretty good. Naturally, I was pretty pleased to see how much time was given to the topic of illegal immigration, and the early argument between Giuliani and Romney. Both had mud to sling at the other, Romney slamming the Mayor on NYC's being a sanctuary city, and Rudy coming back with how the Governor had illegals working on his Massachusetts governor's mansion.
Of the two, Romney had the better of that argument- for how can someone deny that NYC was and still is a magnet for illegal aliens? And as for Rudy's accusations, Romney also had the honest defense, that how was he to know that some of the workers, employed by a company to work at the mansion, were illegal? Maybe, the governor had other things to focus on with his job.

But the best of the topic was not them, but after them- when both Tom Tancredo and Duncan Hunter got warmed up! Each of these candidates still make me clap my hands; Very pleased to hear plenty of applause from the assembled there in St. Petersburg, Florida, too. In fact I'd guess that of all the topics discussed tonight, the illegal immigration problem got the most cheers. Of the seven men, Hunter and Tancredo still lead on that important issue. Thompson was next most forceful, then Paul, then Huckabee needing to defend Arkansas' tuition for illegals laws, then the three "leading" candidates, Giuliani, McCain and Romney. Disturbing to think that maybe these three are still not listening to the will of the citizens of America. McCain especially, with that amnesty endorsement this year.

All seven men except for the moonbat Ron Paul issued strong statements on Iraq, and the need to stay there and WIN! Hunter again made a major point with the audience saying "Just Let Us Win", a statement by our troops in Iraq.

I thought Governor Huckabee was the most dignified; very presidential tonight. And maybe there is a place for him in the next Conservative administration... hope so. As high as VP? I'd be surprised if that happened. That WWJD? question from the whack video guy holding up the Bible, gave Huck the chance he needed to get in another of his patented zingers, "Well, Jesus is too smart to run for office!" A deflection of a question worthy of our Lord, Who was fond of them as well.

I thought that Hunter did not get enough time, enough questions. Paul got too many. But I will admit exhaling a big "Whew!", when Paul said that he would not run a 3rd party campaign, when he doesn't get the Republican call. And I was really, really hoping some Youtube question would be if he too, had ever seen a UFO. Drat!

Both McCain and Thompson looked tired, though each rared up and got feisty when they got angered. Somehow, I had missed hearing that McCain was against so-called waterboarding, as a method of getting intelligence from terrorists. Disappointed in that answer of his, pleased with Romney's response, that 'he'd consult with the military and intelligence operatives first, then decide'.

And very pleased, for the most part, with the abortion answers from everyone; let the individual states make their laws, if Roe v. Wade is overturned someway. Just end the practice of federally funding the practice, dammit! And outlaw that partial-birth abomination. Tax breaks in abundance for adoptive parents!
[sorry, I thought I was up on stage with the candidates too for a second there]

Everyone did get their "bash Hillary" digs in; I liked that!

Perhaps the most awkward moment tonight at the debate was the question and then comments from the retired Brig. General who came out on national TV that he's gay. That question was poison, and Duncan Hunter essentially punted on it. But if he was as ambushed as I suspect he was by the question, then he also ran down and recovered that punt. Distasteful all round, I thought.

All the candidates got my approval on the 2nd Amendment question, except for the Mayor. His answer was equivocating and unconstitutional. Loved Thompson's answer to the same question, "yes, I have two guns, but I'm not going to say what they are, or where they are..." Funny.
And Romney said that his son has two guns... Whut? Endorsement by association, of the 2nd Amendment, Governor?

Every one of them, except for Senator McCain, saw the IRS and the income tax as a problem. McCain must have had a senior moment there... And again, Huck got in a zinger too, about abolishing the IRS as one big government entitlement program he'd cut the budget on. Applause, applause.

Wasn't it pleasant not to hear about 'mandated universal healthcare' once?

And in closing, I could just swear that I saw former Durham, N.C. District Attorney Mike Nifong in the audience: Looking for work or on the lam?

5 comments:

Philidor5949 said...

Please consider contributing on the 16th of December.
Ron Paul needs the publicity of another big fund raising day.

I'm a veteran of the U.S. Air Force active duty (4yrs) and I currently serve as a traditional guardsman in the Air National Guard. All military personnel upon enlistment take the oath: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic...." A vote for Rep. Paul does just that. Ron Paul has my support.

There is an obvious media bias and it is sad. Rep. Paul is the one candidate of the crowd who has substantially differing views and he was not given much of a chance to articulate those views. Much time was given to marginal issues and small differences between other candidates’ positions on the issues. I suspect many special interest groups have much to lose if a President Paul had a chance to use his veto pen. This is reflected in the lack of time given to Rep. Paul.

The Localmalcontent said...

Philidor: I can't believe how fast you guys have the spam room up and going, so soon after the debate.
I've amended your comments; I won't allow your ad. website here.

Thank you for your service to our country, I like the USAF best.

The Localmalcontent said...

By the way, to anyone who blogs on politics: If your blog mentions "Ron Paul", this spam comes into your site from a spam generator called "Delby Filseclab Fire, from www.filseclab.com".

Thank you, SiteMeter~!

One Southern Belle said...

Mal, I heartily agree with the bulk of your assessment of tonight's debate. Huckabee is, in fact, very dignified and audience-ready...I just don't know if he's electable. And I know what you mean about McCain looking tired. I'm curious if he ever wonders "What am I still doing here?" And then there's Romney--he's my guy. I thought he did a great job for the most part. All in all, it was a fine debate, though not earth-shaking by any standard. Still not sure how I feel about these YouTube debates.

Oh, and thanks for the spam warning. How irksome! Hope you're doing well. Keep up the good work!

Red S. Tater said...

Great job mal, excellent analysis...

that was a pretty fun debate in some ways.

ronpaulbots... platform- Hide in a hole and huddle around a copy of the Constitution.