Sunday, December 16, 2007

RE: The Current National Questions About Religion, Church

What would your reaction be, if I told you that my church was for Choctaws only? Or for Indians only? What if, my church's expressed intent was to promote a Nativist point of view exclusively?

Well, for starters, you would be understandably startled; maybe a little disappointed in me personally, or real disappointed in my choice of church, or very disturbed in a church which takes up discrimination as a church doctrine, even promotes discrimination.
Would your disappointment border on being alarmed?? Or outrage, since it comes from a church?

Your disappointment, disturbment or dismay would be justified. Coming from a "church". Because for one thing, any church should be only interested in, only concerned with spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ, urging Christianity, and saving souls. Any soul. Regardless of the color of, or of the nationality of the corporeal flesh on the outside, right? RIGHT??

Does God Almighty Care what color you are, or what nationality you are? Does He prefer me, my skin's color, my native-nationality?

Would you be privately concerned that, based upon my church's expressed dogma, and my longtime membership in my discriminatory church, I may look down on you non-Indians, you non-Choctaw? Would you treat me somewhat differently from other Choctaw who belong to, who attend a different church, or no church at all? Can I be faulted for being taught from the pulpit to judge others by thier skin color or their nationality?

I ask all these uncomfortable questions here for a reason. Here It Is:
The following mission statement is of the Trinity United Church of Christ of Chicago, Illinois, the home church of Barack Hussein Obama, presidential candidate:

About Us
We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community. Trinity United Church of Christ.

Click the 'About Us' button at that link, to see for yourself.

Read that paragraph a second time to let the words soak in, but this time, exchange the word 'Black' for 'Choctaw', and words "African, mother continent, cradle of civilization" for more Indian sounding, more separatist words.

To me it's very clear that my church would be assailed as a bigoted church, and rightfully so, if the mission statement of Obama's church was ours.
What's more, I personally would never attend such a separatist, Choctaw-only church.

I want to say here that, unequivocally, I would not mind, at all, having a Black president of the United States. Period.

However, I would have a problem with a Black president who worships at a church which endorses racial discrimination, like Obama's church in Chicago does.

5 comments:

Dave said...

Right off the bat, your post reminded me of this story about Romney and the Mormon Church ending discrimination. I don’t hold it against Romney that the Mormon’s had separatist views and I don’t hold it against Obama that the Trinity United Church of Christ holds what could be seen as separatist views. I admittedly don’t know enough about the church to hold an opinion about it one way or another. From what I have seen and heard of Obama however, I do not believe that he is a separatist in any way shape or form. He is someone who I truly think believes in trying to unite people. I don’t agree with him on all issues but I do agree with him on the need to mend this great country.

Abouna said...

Here, here. I'm with you 100% on this one. Well said.

The Localmalcontent said...

Thanks Abouna and Dave-

The point here is had the Trinity Church of Christ had said that it was 'unabashedly white', and went on to promote white, or in my example Choctaw, the howling would be heard for miles.
For Obama to continue to attend a church like this disturbs me, and I would have thought it would bother his admirers.

Dave said...

Admittedly I hadn't given it any thought. That having been said though, you do make some great points.

Red S Tater said...

...Obama's admirers are forced to 'whistle past the graveyard', as the old saying goes.

The dem's don't have a candidate without major fundamental flaws and issues that must be overlooked in order to support him/her... so you get the best of the worst.

It would be like if we only had Rudy or McCain or Paul to choose from.... hold your nose and pull the lever.
lol

Good research Mal, great post.
-red