Sunday, February 24, 2008

Stairway to Heaven, Elevator to Hell

Why would any singer or band ever try to remake a classic song? You'd think that they would understand that doing so is careericide.

Just heard on AIROS (AMERICAN INDIAN RADIO ON SATELLITE)
an Indian woman singing her version of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven",
and ouch, my ears and stomach are both hurtin'.

Sung in English, since you asked. But played and sung to a beat that Debbie Harry would like, about 240 bpm. In other words, a disco beat, of all things...

Mostly (before turning down the speaker volume to zero), hearing her ruin 'Stairway' reminded me of an episode of my life, when I made the conscious and final decision, never to ride any elevator anywhere, which piped in Musak to it's trapped audiences therein.

In 1995, I was employed by the Bureau of Indian Affairs in Albuquerque, N.M., on the 3rd floor of the Federal Building there. The BIA has since been moved elsewhere, and not soon enough. But on an early elevator ride in that place, I heard a
Muzak rendition of a Frank Zappa tune, "Only Women Bleed", if you can imagine that. Unfortunately, I can never forget that.

From that moment, I decided I could just take the stairs. Same for shopping; if I hear Muzak playing, then that is the once and final time that I do business there. Anything to avoid the mind-paralyzing melodies of Muzak.

1 comment:

Hatless in Hattiesburg said...

disco zeppelin & muzak zappa (muzappa?) - yecch!

speaking of music in the wrong place, last weekend i took my dad to the gaithers' concert - lots of opry-style gospel singalong music. then at the semi-fancy restaurant we went to afterwards, the background music was 70's rock - boston, zeppelin, aerosmith, etc. original recordings. that just seemed so very very backwards to me. :)