Friday, March 7, 2008

He's Coming Around, Finally

Good grief.

In similar fashion of words, nearly identical to those that my grandfather and my mother, (both unrepentant Democrats) once said to me, former Senator and presidential candidate George McGovern is warning the nation against the coming "nanny state" of America.

"Freedom is Responsibility" is George McGovern's admonition today.

Only back then, my mom taught me that "Being Responsible is Freedom".

My grandfather once told me that in 1972, he voted for Richard M. Nixon for president. His only non-Democrat vote of his life. And, he also said that if I ever told anyone that he voted for Nixon, he'd call me a liar there and then. ~That was my Papaw for ya....

Amazingly, McGovern now urges American voters to rejoice in and embrace the freedom of choice, and reject all attempted governmental supervision, in all things.

From today's Wall Street Journal Online, this:

"Since leaving office I’ve written about public policy from a new perspective: outside looking in. I’ve come to realize that protecting freedom of choice in our everyday lives is essential to maintaining a healthy civil society.

Why do we think we are helping adult consumers by taking away their options? We don’t take away cars because we don’t like some people speeding. We allow state lotteries despite knowing some people are betting their grocery money. Everyone is exposed to economic risks of some kind. But we don’t operate mindlessly in trying to smooth out every theoretical wrinkle in life.

The nature of freedom of choice is that some people will misuse their responsibility and hurt themselves in the process. We should do our best to educate them, but without diminishing choice for everyone else.

On behalf of my grandfather, Senator I forgive you.
And Welcome to the true spirit of Americanism,
as proscribed and defined in our Constitution.

1 comment:

One Southern Belle said...

Wow--I never thought I'd live to see a day where I was in COMPLETE agreement with George McGovern! I am not at all surprised (though, I am nevertheless dismayed) that, for McGovern, this revelation re: public policy could only happen years after he left public office--now that he's on the outside looking in. Clearly the implication here is that while he was still an "insider" he didn't feel such high regard for personal choice and individual responsibility; rather, he and his (then) politically like-minded friends insisted we need someone to help us, as were were all apparently incapable of making our own decisions. Well, George, you've come out of the wilderness of liberal thought and into the Promised Land of choice and accountability! Better late than never--it's good to have you on board!