Saturday, April 12, 2008

Six Degrees' Separation of Six-Word Memoirs

The theory goes " if a person is one step away from each person he or she knows and two steps away from each person who is known by one of the people he or she knows, then everyone is an average of six "steps" away from each person on Earth."


From Hatless in Hattiesburg: "obscure spectral shards with regrettable inertia."

From Jungle-Hut Blog (Jungle Mom): "She hath done what she could." (Jesus' words, from Mark 14:8)

From The McGehee Zone: "And then I woke up laughing."

Of course, from my original requester, Prudence Ponder: "Black water. Choppy waves. Hope floats."

"Be sure to laugh each day" are wise words and the memoir of Pajama Momma.

The Local Malcontent's was "One fine day when everything's fine", to reflect my optimism and confidence that all will be well soon.

Six degrees away from Ernest Hemingway in fact. In the 1920s, Hemingway bet ten dollars that he could write a complete story in just six words.
He wrote: "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn." He won the bet.

The BBC's Radio 4 programme, 'Today' started the current worldwide sweep of six-word memoir posts, which run the spectrum of emotions and mood. The online writer's magazine, Smith, where 'everyone has a story', has begun the same effort. At these links, there are 100s of memoirs from worldwide readers, listeners to the BBC, and readers of Smith.

(I had heard that recent story on the broadcast some weeks ago, as I often listen to the BBC to bore me to sleep at night.)

And while the task is superficially pointless I'll admit, it allows us all to share a brief moment with another human being, most of whom we shall never ever meet. Sort of like the blogging world tour I took some 10 days ago- wherein I discovered that most of us are happy in our lives.

From that single excursion though, I made three new friends, from Utah, Argentina and Dubai.

So, pointless? No, because of the possibility of making a new friend, albeit over the Internet. Like my great friend Jon Seymour in Sydney, whom I met, befriended because of a photograph of that city, two years ago now.

And the day in which I find that I have enough friends, will be a sad day, a lonely day.

2 comments:

pjmomma said...

Awesome post. :)

Jungle Mom said...

I visited some of your new friends as well!