Thursday, April 24, 2008

Time to Recharge the Batteries

This week just hasn't felt right. Has that ever happened to you?


I think about this bloggie when I get home from work,
and sometimes feel it is a mill stone around my neck. I feel as if I should put up

something- anything-, then there are days when, like Bilbo or Frodo with their ring of power,

I feel the irresistible urge to hit that delete key. The BIG delete key.


The economy, the presidential race, the war on terrorism, the Democrats, they take their toll on a weary afternoon mind, when all I can think of is Miss Leti, supper, getting out of this shirt and tie, sitting in the yard in the breeze. Oh, yes-- and sleep.


If you will excuse and/or forgive me, I think I'll take a weekend off, to recharge my batteries.

Don't start any wars or anything while I'm away putting out my trot lines and working in the yard.

See everyone on Monday! Or Tuesday!


I have days where I hate my job
This little town and the whole world too
Last night when my Cardinals lost
Lord, it put me in such a bad mood

I have moments when I curse the rain
Then complain when the sun's too hot
I look around at what everyone has
And I forget about all I've got


But I know I'm a lucky man
God's given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and a piece of land
A few dollars in a coffee can
My old truck's still runnin' good
My ticker's ticking like they say it should
I got supper in the oven, a good woman's lovin'
And one more day to be my crazy dog's bud
Lord knows I'm a lucky man


Got some friends who would be here fast
I could call em any time of day
Got some brothers who've got my back
Had a mama who I'd swear was a saint
Got a brand new rod and reel
Got a full week off this year
Had a close call last spring
It's a miracle I'm still here


But Lord knows I'm a lucky man
God's given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and a piece of land
A few dollars in a coffee can
My old truck's still running good
My ticker's tickin' like they say it should
I got supper in the oven,a good woman's loving
And one more day to be my crazy dog's bud


Lord knows I'm a lucky man
My old truck's still running good
My ticker's ticking like they say it should
I got supper in the oven, a good woman's loving
And even my bad days ain't that bad
Yeah, I'm a lucky man
I'm a lucky lucky man

4 comments:

Jungle Mom said...

Love the poetry and enjoy your week end. and ...uh... don't push 'delete', please?

crazy4danes said...

Enjoy your break!...I know how you feel because I'm feeling that way myself today. Love the song too by the way, one of my hubby's favorites!

The Localmalcontent said...

The song is "Lucky Man", by Montgomery Gentry... I changed a couple of his lines though-
my mother is dead, and I don't have any kids yet, so.
necessary. But the sentiment is exactly the same.

The Localmalcontent said...

Sorry to have forgotten to add
Thank you ladies, for your caring thoughts.