Saturday, May 31, 2008

My Latest Left Wing Attack

Friday afternoon, I was a happy guy. I was looking forward to going out with Leticia last night- we had not seen each other since last Sunday evening, but we had talked during the week about taking in the new Raiders of the Lost Ark movie, and dinner. The ending to a reasonably perfect week!

So I was running around the house beforehand getting ready, first finishing, uploading my day's work, feeding Amos and the chickens, then showering, putting on some 'smell-um-good' and clean socks for our date. I picked out a certain shirt that she likes me in, a long-sleeved, blue and white checked one and a pair of chinos from the closet.

Within maybe 10 minutes, I felt a stinging on my shoulder. Not a bee-sting feeling, but sort of a needle poke. Then another. But by then I was heading out the door here, going to pick up my girl, and I firmly rubbed that spot.

Did you ever get poked by a little nylon thread in a garment, noticing the irritation of it?
By the time I picked Leti up, my left shoulder was sore. By the time she and I got to Fort Smith, my shoulder was on fire, and it felt like the fire was moving down my bicep.

We arrived at the Red Lobster on Rogers Avenue, and Leti demands to look at my shoulder. Imagine what other customers must have thought, if they caught me with my shirt half off, and her leaning over examining me...


This is my lady: "That's a spider bite, and WE ARE going to the hospital!"
Those other Red Lobster customers, now convinced we're sex addicts as we leave the parking lot, me half nekkid.


We were seen at St. Edwards' Mercy ER, after less than one week's wait. Nevertheless, by then I'm feeling queasy when a doctor comes in to examine my shoulder. It was a spider bite, the little red bastard squashed up and dead in my blue/white checked shirt. Two little pink pimples had begun to rise from where the fire was burning, and the doctor advised us not to prick them; she, the doctor added "that will turn first reddish then white. If the bites continue to spread, to consult my own doctor." A nurse administered (another) shot to the back part of the same shoulder ! and told me I may begin to feel some nausea. I had to laugh...

It was nearly 10 p.m. when we left St. Edward's. I drove us to Hardee's for burgers for supper, but I didn't eat but a couple bites ( no pun intended )- and guess what else I learned: Leticia can drive a standard! She drove us back here, and called her family to say what had happened, that she was staying over.

This morning, the two pimples are white, surrounded by red skin. Ok, then, redder skin... Leticia just took over around here, and taking my truck to work.

I could get used to this.

8 comments:

Christopher Willis said...

You missed the movie? Dr. Henry Walton Jones, Jr. would not have let a spider bite slow him down. Will pray for you. C-)

The Localmalcontent said...

Thanks for the prayers, sir. -Always in short supply, those.

As for Dr. Jones, haha, I am not afraid of snakes. spiders, yes.

Hatless in Hattiesburg said...

ah, so you're the most recent victim of "the vast left-wing conspiracy"? what an honor! :D

The Localmalcontent said...

Hello, Hatless~!

Abouna said...

Watch out for them thar women folk, today they take your truck, tomorrow it is your wallet and before you know it, you become expert at saying: "Yes dear."

Just kidding my friend, sounds like you got a good woman there.

Best of luck and God bless.

Don Smith said...

Say, Your "Post a comment button" made me wait about 3 seconds, you might want to look into that.

You are fortunate to have found such a girl, a lot of them would have caved and come unraveled in a "crisis situation" and would have been more problems than they were worth. (Please do not forward my address to your readership!)

She sounds like a "keeper to me."

Isn't that the way it goes, "you feel the stingin' (you have been bitten) you smack 'em and kill them, but the damage has been done."

Kind of like biting into an apple and then finding "half of a worm" there after you have swallowed.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyuk.

Have a great weekend, or whatever is left of it.

DS

brotherjohns said...

Hope you are feeling much better now. I know it was a painful experience to go through, but it did serve to further illuminate the care, skill and tenderness of Leticia! The two of you are obviously great together!

Brother John
Lansdowne, Pennsylvania USA

Col. B. Bunny said...

Hmmm. The old "Honey, would you look at my spider bite" ploy.