Friday, June 20, 2008

Summer Solstice '08

Hello summertime. The longest day of the year followed by the shortest night.
Thank Goodness tomorrow's Saturday!

Among other tidbits, the almanac tells me that the daylight today was 15 hours, 29 minutes for my location. Causing me to wonder, how can shorter days upcoming for us (through December 21), be so much hotter?

Especially when one contemplates that the Earth right now is farther away from the Sun in her elliptical orbit, than she is in winter. Give or take a couple million miles, but that makes a difference, I guess.

Got out and set two trot lines on the lake this afternoon, in the 'blazing' June afternoon sun (84°). The almanac also told that the full moon on this shortest night would make the channel cat be hungry for shad overnight.
June noon moon.


Everyone around here ("in these parts...") likes to sit out on the front porch in the evenings. This was the way I was brought up, and somehow that seems right to do tonight. Less traffic than usual; must be the price of gas.

That's all I have to say, I believe; I'm going back outside to the porch, and anxiously await the June moon soon.

No comments: