Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Then It's A Date

After peaceful negotiations the past couple of evenings, my fiancee and I have planned a tentative wedding date for Saturday, December 27, 2008!

The past two nights, the past 14 nights really, are all a blur to me right now, remembering only bits and pieces of conversations. Has John McCain done anything worthwhile in my absence? Didn't think so...

But I did promise to share the details of last Saturday here on the bloggie. Nothing super romantic or anything (you know me)-- We went to Fort Smith in the late afternoon to the mall, shopping. But I did have Leti's father and grandmother who live in central Arkansas to be in Fort Smith that day, as well as my uncle from Mena, coincidentally run into the two of us later on, at the Old Mill Inn/Restaurant, overlooking the Arkansas River. They were already seated at a window table, and we were led to the next table. After the "surprise" at running into our folks, and ordering, then in came other of her and my friends, for dinner as well, but mostly to share a birthday cake afterwards, to Leti, on the wharf just outside.

The other crowd in there that night, must've thought there was a powwow or an Indian raid maybe; but it was a private, well-dressed powwow or raid, on that deck. There was much whooping and loud laughter, because, being in Arkansas, I had to buy a club membership so that drinks and champagne could be served.

Leti was so overwhelmed! And the light of her beauty lit the evening perfectly. Her dark eyes had a dancing, happy shine to them. One friend of ours gave her a red bedpan for a birthday present~!, which I took as the opportunity to spring; I reached into my pocket for the small box which was my final present on my girlfriend's birthday. When the laughter from seeing the red bedpan ended, I moved around to give it to her, asking her then, if she would do me the honor of becoming my loving wife.

No, not on one knee, only standing near, and facing her, in case my heart should explode, and me fall into the river.

Without confessing the exact words which she whispered into my ear, Leticia said "Yes." Emphatically, yes.

I asked her father if I could marry his daughter. Kenneth said that if Leticia wanted it, then he wanted it too.

Then, I placed the engagement ring I'd bought three weeks earlier on her hand.
That memory will never fade with time, in me.


It's the other parts, before and afterward that are all blurry, as dreams should be.
Also significant is that I have seen more crows than usual since Saturday. Crows signify blessing and plenty, not fear.


6 comments:

Jungle Mom said...

Thanks for all the good details!

The Localmalcontent said...

A Paraguayian mid-summer Saturday, eh?

Abouna said...

My gosh, what a beautiful video, music and pictures. Bless you for posting it.

I also loved your account of last Saturday. You are a bit more of a romantic then I expected. I am truly happy for both of you.

crazy4danes said...

Beautiful post! I could literally see myself watching that night unfold. You write so well! Congrats! I am so happy for your happiness and I wish you and your fiance all the best and hope you have a wonderful life together!

The Localmalcontent said...

Well thank you, C4D~!

Maybe uniquely of all my favorite readers, your kind words are most appreciated- because in your blogs I've read of the apprehension you once had, moving to southern Utah from southern California... into the unknown.

you can identify with my fears, and thank you for your blessing on our wedding, as well!

Col. B. Bunny said...

I'm glad to read of your good fortune, LM. I wish you lots of happiness. You have the character to be a great husband.