Monday, August 11, 2008

To Oogah Tleh:

The following is a personal, kinda private letter to my friend Glenn, Oogah Tleh, the Whirlwind, whom I probably won't be seeing again, anytime soon.

Please visit The Local Malcontent again, tomorrow, for some other nonsense from me.


Oogah Tleh, my little brother,

To say that I was slack-jawed with shock last night, when I was told about your arrest, is another of my understatements, that you liked so much, when we'd talk long into the nights.

I miss you already so much, and thinking that I won't see you around here for some years is painful. Even though we saw and spoke with each other last Wednesday in Talihina, you understand that I've missed you for a couple of weeks before then, too.

When we met each other, just in June, although it seems like we've known each other for years and years, I told you that I wanted to meet you before you ever knew of me... I saw you at the convenience store on the payphone, and instigated our introduction. Remember? I was just in awe of you, peddling your bicycle up and down these mountains, your stamina and dedication, your "work" ethic. Haha.

I confided in you my life and my struggles, along with my llittle bloggie here and all the rest, just as you did with me, your life and struggles.

"The Malcontents!!" you'd call us both.
And I was/am still pleased to share that name with you, sir.

When I asked you to become my blood brother, with the full (b.s.) ceremony, you said no, but we still were truly that; and in my mind, at least, you ARE my blood, brother, you are Choctaw and I am Ponca now.
I will always be by your side, brother Oogah Tleh, and I will always have your back.

You do know, or you should know Oogah Tleh, that this present rainstorm we're having, is Hurricane Oogah Tleh, right? I have never lied to you, brother, even in telling you that I can make it rain. You chose the date, 'August 12th', over a month ago, and you chose Houston, Texas. But I can seemingly only make it rain wherever I am, and with this storm, I am 30 for 31 tries.
Hurricane Oogah Tleh.

In today's rain, I cleaned up your campsite, the one you shared with me. That is the "environmentalist" in me, OK? Haha, you and your first probing words, "environmentalist", "Jew", others.... I have your bicycle, your clothes, your turtle shell and ceremonial cedar and rocks. I have the Orange Pencil/Lightsabre/Tom-tom that I gave you, which you loved so. They all will be safe with me here, awaiting your return someday, my brother, as well as every rock and the marble you gave to me.

You altered my life abruptly for the very good when you entered into it; you alter my life abruptly for the very bad as you leave it.
From burritos, and beans, backyard burgers cooked in the firepit you dug out, to washing the dishes, everything like that hurts now.

It seems to me, brother Oogah Tleh, that you have lived your life exactly like the words of Pink Floyd's
"SHINE ON, YOU KRAZY DIAMOND":
Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision, rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

Every YouTube video you showed me, was/is so very special to me, said so much to me, and each one I've shared with the readers here on my bloggie.

That is how special you are, to your older brother.

Write to me, please.
Yannash, Red Shield, Malcontent, Brother

No comments: