Thursday, November 6, 2008

Post Number 688

Dear Diary,
Today I thought alot about the three colors of the American flag, the red, the white and the blue.


From my schooling, I could remember that the red stripes represented the blood that had been shed, defending this country and it's unique understanding of life, then in Revolutionary times through these present days.
But for the life of me, I cannot remember without help what the other two colors represent.
Did/Does white represent 'purity' or 'Godliness', or 'Zigzag rolling papers'?
Did/Does the blue signify 'character' or 'courage', maybe 'the broad sky', or does it mean the 'blue waters of the oceans and the Great Lakes', maybe?


I cannot remember. Because at some point after some American History test was handed back to me and my classmates, it was no more taught or thought about.

The 'red' on the other hand, pun intended, was always easily remembered. I admired those men and those women who believed so so so much in this youthful country that they were willing to die to defend her. To the death~!
My gosh. What an unimaginable amount of devotion and of courage that took.
But in many ways, the shed red blood of our great soldiers of years passed drained from them for naught... now.

~For example, I cannot imagine the Precedent laying a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, next Memorial day, 2009, without also imagining rage, both within myself, and among my brethren.

There was a time also on this land, when much Native red blood was shed, in a vain attempt to save what they also believed worth fighting for: The Sioux, the Black Foot, the Apache and Arapaho, the Cheyenne, the Ponca and Nez Perce all fought magnificent battles for their versions of freedom, and lost to the then-New Ways of the white man.
Many an Indian of my tribe hears about how the early Choctaw, the Seminole, the Creek, the Chickasaw and the Cherokee befriended an overwhelming, invading force of white settlers, made peace treaties with them, and were (somewhat) spared, required only to relocate to Indian Territory, instead of making war parties and fighting large scale battles.
Is there some correlation now, these days, with the battles waged or the peace treaties signed, of yesteryear?


Don't know that yet. The precise definitions of what each side is battling for, or negiotiating for, is still unclear.
I believe however, that there is a fight in me. I see 'red' in my hands.

1 comment:

Jungle Mom said...

Do you ever read Bad Eagles blog?
BTW, I am liking these diary entries!