Friday, December 5, 2008

Post No. 712 "The Greatest Hits"

As I told my close friend JMom in an email this week, the number of wedding-related matters I'm facing in the next three weeks until Leticia's and my big day are overwhelming me, and as a consequence, the Local Malcontent can't squeeze in time to blog so much for awhile.

Maybe weeks, maybe months... it'll be sporadic. Please bear with me here, things are hectic to say the least.

(I'm in Green, representing Harvest. Marty, in purple/white representing spring, is my Best Man)

Just to remind you, our wedding is December 27th, at 1:30 at the Christ of the Hills Baptist Church near LeFlore. I have the following week off work though January 7, and Mrs. Malcontent and I will be honeymooning in Miami, Florida.
Will Leti become a Methodist? Will I become a Baptist? What about the Big 3 auto manufacturers?
Stay tuned. Please.

A Warm, Merry, Joyous Christmas to each and all of you, from Mr. and Mrs. Malcontent, as well as a blessed, prosperous New Year!!
Hopefully to tide you over until we get back next month, you will enjoy these "Greatest Hits of The Local Malcontent":

From August, 2007, The funniest car commercial in the world!!;

From June, 2008, the beautiful "Pua Lilia", sung by The Brothers Cazimero;

From April, 2008, Edith Piaf sings the eternal, all-time best lovesong;

From October, 2007, Harpo Marx shows what Baseball Heaven will be like (Lucy is there, too);

From May, 2008, and Forever More, Amen!, My favorite hymn;

From November, 2007, my adoration of our state Oklahoma Risin';

From July, 2008, Gnarls Barkley tried <>to warn me about Oogha Tleh;

From February, 2008, this policeman was a joy to see coming around;

and lastingly, from June, 2008, the tribute to comforting women and loving wives that I cannot stop watching, listening to.

Truly, God's second greatest gift of all. I no longer fear growing old. With you, Leticia.

Did ya'll think I'd forget adding some Scott Joplin in, among the greatest hits? Well, didja? No, instead, I want to offer up what is, to me, Joplin's finest and most passionate composition, "Solace", The first time I heard this song, I wept. Still do, in fact.

The second half is pure passion, pure Ecstasy, in my opinion.
I've saved this for right now on this blog,
From nearly 100 years ago, 1909, when he composed this,
for his new wife Lottie Stokes, his Solace:

(p.s.- And Happy Birthday today, Doug Stanfill, 1956-2004, Rest In Peace, dear friend)

9 comments:

McGehee said...

Best wishes to you and your bride.

I'm saying it now in the last few weeks before the wedding, when the kind nwiords are most needed. ;-)

If my own was any indication, the days just before the wedding will make the next 30, 40, 50 years (or at least, the 14 years I've had) as a married man seem like a cakewalk.

Father Gregori said...

To my dear friend and "Choctaw son", since I will be rather busy myself, I want to take this opportunity to wish you and Leti all the best on your wedding day. I shall celebrate a Divine Liturgy in your honor. And since I won't be at your Bachelor Party or Wedding Reception in person, may I offer up this toast:
"Here is to our wives and sweethearts, and may they never meet." lol

God Bless you both (no matter which Christian Church you join) and may you both have a very joyous and Blessed Christmas.

P.S.

Please enjoy your Honeymoon, just don't do anything I wouldn't do. lol

BobG said...

My best wishes to you and your bride-to-be; I've been married 35 years and have never regretted it. Just get back to us when you get the time, I know how crazy it can get preparing for a wedding. This time of year does not make it any easier.

gregor said...

I wish you and the future Mrs. Local Malcontent all the happiness and peace you can stand, and then some. It is, indeed, a wonderful, mysterious and special thing to find that certain someone who you know you want to spend the rest of your life with. Hard times, good time and in between, they are all the better with the one you love.
Wish I could be there, but know that I'll be thinking about you both and have a piece of wedding cake for me!
Gregor

Kini said...

Ho'omaika'i Hoaloha!!!
(Congratulations my friend!!!)
Best wishes to you and your bride.

A Marriage Blessing:
May God be with you and bless you.
May you see your children’s children.
May you be poor in misfortunes and rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness from this day forward.

Mele Kalikimaka a me Hau`oli Makahiki Hou!
(Merry Christmas and Happy New Year)

Kini

Clevelandvet said...

I wish you a lifetime of happiness and joy within your married life, Malcontent. May your happiness never end, and your arguments never be.
I was married to my highschool sweetheart for 41 years, and can say taht without her in my life, I'd be nothing. She was my entire drive for living, now it's my children and grandchildren.
I hope that Leticia can put up with you as long or longer. :0

Jungle Mom said...

I am so happy for you both. May God grant you many years of joy and marital bliss. We'll be here when you get back!!
I would so love to see a photo of Leti but am assuming she does not want it on the internet!

The Localmalcontent said...

I never expected this kind respoonse: Really.

Thank you each and all for your best wishes for mine and Leticia's upcoming wedding, that's from my heart, dear friends.

Sound advice from friends should always be listened to, and I think that the same goes for the support that all of you have shown to me in this (very) weird year.

I will really try to email each of you with more personal thanks in the freetime of days to come.
I ask God to Bless each of you~!!

And to answer JMom's question about Leti, about wedding photos, I will consult her. Probably, though, we will send email pics, rather than post them here at the LMCs.

Jungle Mom said...

email pics would be great!