Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blue Dog Dan Boren, Phone Home; Let's Talk

Only one United state- ONE- can claim that every one of it's counties voted Republican, in the 2008 Presidential election.
Wonderful Oklahoma.
Where, in Oklahoma City, our bicameral legislature is for the first time in it's short history, majority Republican.
But don't start singing "You're doin' fine, Oklahoma!," just yet however.

Pretty soon, we'll have the chance to replace Governor Henry with a conservative, too.
Leaving lonely, poor ole Dan Boren, as the sole Democrat representing any Sooners.
Elected in 2004, Mr. Boren pleased his 2nd District constituency by voting mostly conservatively;
in fact, Dan Boren sits on the Board of Directors of the National Rifle Association. And Boren is rated "terrible" by environmental whacko treehuggers' groups. Also, he married Andrea Heupel, sister to local hero Josh Heupel.
None of which, hurt his resume around here...

On June 10, 2008 Boren announced he will not endorse the Democratic Party's presidential candidate, Barack Obama. Boren said he will, however, vote for Obama at the party's convention in August. And ya know, I could understand that: Being in Denver, at the DNC and all.... it would look bad if he cast a vote for John McCain or for Duncan Hunter.
That assured me then, that he is a 'DINO', a Democrat In Name Only.
But his vote today, on the nearly $880 Billion boondoggle bill, may be his political undoing. I'd expected his name to be one of the eleven blue-dog House Democrats who voted against the bill; I was wrong, though.

Now, already panicing, Boren hurriedly told Tulsa World reporter Jim Myers, that he "conceded that decision was difficult, citing the size of the bill, but said the worst economic times since the Great Depression warranted that kind of action.
When faced with doing nothing or doing something to help the nation's economy, he said, erring on the side of doing something was the right approach.
Boren said "the bill on the House floor would not be the final version. I think we will have another bite of the apple.''

Apples Are Red, Too, Congressman Boren.

6 comments:

ABNPOPPA said...

A nice piece of info for my next trivia contest at work. Glad you seem to be feeling better.

Pops

The Localmalcontent said...

Thanks, Pops, for the good wishes.

I'm still only able to tolerate liquids, Tomato soup and chicken broth for now; my fever rose to 103° overnight last night, I didn't sleep, couldn't become comfortable, and Leti is such a darling- she was up most of the night too.
One more day away from work tomorrow, hopefully my last one for awhile.

Most Rev. Gregori said...

That chicken broth ought to do the trick, it always worked for me.

Have you considered a hot mustard plaster to your chest?

Take two tablespoons full of Cod liver oil, two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Hang in there my friend, it will get better. I know because I am praying for you.

Dave said...

I really like Boren. I'd like to see him run for Senate some day.

How's life treating you LMC?

Dave said...

ARGH! I forgot to click the box to get the email follow ups. Did it now though. :o)

The Localmalcontent said...

Dave, thanks for visiting, again.
What Follow-Ups?!!

I've missed you, actually, somewhat; back when you would chime in here at the LMC, and offering substantial, democratic rebutals-

Likewise, I have ceased dropping by OklahomaLefty, your blog, mostly- since the last time there, I got into an inane argument with Danny, some creep who's only aim in life was to pull down and to make miserable, anyone whom he deemed less miserable and more successful than himself.

So, DAVE, I deleted your mostly nonsense blog from my bloglist... in August or in July.
About the time I asked my girlfriend to become my wife, on her birthday in July, 08.
Our engagement has been pretty openly documented here, as well as our marriage, and some of our honeymoon earlier this month, in Miami, Florida.

Do you still want to take every class that Oklahoma University offers? I'll always remember that blog of yours, listing some 700+ hours of classes you wanted to take-- all toward the goal of someday finding yourself, and perchance also, a focus for your life.

I still wish you "good luck" in your endeavors, your life too, and the lives that you've created, while still looking for your own.

If "opposites attract" in life as well as in magnatism, you and I ought to be bosom buddies, Dave;
especially being fellow Okies.
But the facts is, we ain't.
Not because you don't visit the LMC as much as I ever visited your OklahomaLefty's, NOT because you had offspring, and Leti and I CANNOT,
but because you seemed to drift from one ambition to another almost monthly, dude-
and never ever seeing that (as)futility.

You, Dave, perfectly encompass what's wrong with all Liberals today, man:
You all think that you have suddenly come up with "a better way", than what has been proven to be tried and true for billions of people, for hundreds of years already.

The Local Malcontent