Sunday, April 5, 2009

I Love Spot

I've been spending alot of time lately with a new friend. He and I became friends at church, oh about two months ago, when Leti and I got back from our honeymoon.

What do we do? We work, we go fishing, we like to sit on the sun-
drenched rocks on the lake shore together
and just talk.
We've bonded pretty well, and that makes me happy.
Today, we spent most of the day riding bicycles, eating beef jerky, and drinking Coke.

And talking, sharing secrets.
I find him pretty smart. Smart beyond his years.

I really like his thinking, his instincts.
He listens to me too, when I talk about America, when I talk about being a Choctaw man.


When I see him, I smile.
When my friend sees me, he smiles.
I like it when I see him coming; and I sad it when he has to leave.

Lately, I've employed my friend on Saturdays, to help me around the yard,
working our gardens, and helping me repost my fences.

25 dollars for about two hours worth of work.

My friend is 11 years old and Fatherless.
I am 40 years old and Childless.

Our friendship has his mother's and my
wife's blessings.

I call him "Spot".
He wants to be called "Cris".
Neither is his real name.

4 comments:

Most Rev. Gregori said...

Sounds like it could be a beautiful relationship. A boy needs a father and man needs a son.

As you know, I never had any children of my own because my ex-wife kept having miscarriages, due to her drug and alcohol addiction, but I adopted four from Southeast Asia, who I raised alone after my divorce and there are several others that I call my sons. They were kids from my neighborhood that needed someone to guide them and take them fishing, camping and just being therefore them.

So, you can see, there are many ways for a man to be a dad.

The Localmalcontent said...

And hearing their dad, they are pretty good sons, too~! Lucky to have you as their dad.
Don't you have a Choctaw son as well...? LOL

Spot came home with us after church today, and spent the afternoon with us, learning to build a fire in the fireplace and some simple algebra too.
Good kid.

Most Rev. Gregori said...

Ah yes, I cannot forget my Choctaw son. If all goes well, by the time "Spot" is ready to graduate from high school, he will remember all that you and Leti have done for him, and he will thank you in some unexpected way, (like the poem I got from one of the Ukrainian boys at Christmas.

I probably don't need to tell you, but always let "Spot" know how much you care about him, and when ever he does something good, be sure to let him know that you are proud of him. And most important, let him know that whatever he does, or if he ever gets into trouble, that he can always count on you to be there. Kids, especially boys need to know that.

Tell him that I will be praying for him.

The Localmalcontent said...

;-)