Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Springfield, America Success Story

It does not matter how old you are:
Toddler to Senior citizen-
You can most likely name each member of THE Simpson family.
Perhaps their extended family. Maybe their neighbors and their friends.
And, you know they live in Springfield.

What you may not realize though, is that this lovable, whack family
has now been with us for 20 years.
20 Years.

All their friends, all their histories, their weekly stories, all their legacy is every bit as much a part of our lives now, as are Tolkiens' 'Bilbo and Frodo Baggins', as much as Dicken's 'Ebenezer Scrooge and tiny Tim', even as well known as Moses or Davy Crockett.

What a phenomenon "The Simpsons" has been!
That coming from me, a die-hard Daffy Duck fan.

Every American actor worth his or her salt, has been featured on an episode, none more than actor Kelsey Grammer, who plays Bart's arch nemesis, "Sideshow Bob".

I really think, I truly believe, that everyone, each of us, lives in (our own personal) Springfield and that the Simpsons are somewhere, among our friends.
-We can identify with some aspect of Simpson reality, with Simpson logic, with Simpson actions.
If Leticia and I didn't live in Yanush, I'd want us to live in Springfield, down the street from this family; and if so, then definitely also,down the street from Moe's tavern, down the road from the Kwiki-Mart, just a short jaunt to the Squidport Waterfront shoppes.

OK, at least three blocks away from the Simpsons' home on Evergreen Terrace....

The unique aspect of 'The Simpsons', is that they, the cartoon draws us into their lives, into their town, into their experiences, so personally that we become citizens of Springfield too, and easily.

I wish that 'The Simpsons' cartoon would last another 20 years~!!

I have a friend, who is a serious 'Simpsons' expert: I try my very best to ask him a trivia question about the series he won't know,
every time I see him, as I pick up pizzas he's cooked for us.
I. Never.Win.
Period.
Ain't.Gonna.Happen.
& That.Makes.Me.Happy.Too.

Because 'The Simpsons' are Americana now, they will live forever.
Like Betsy Ross, like 'I Love Lucy', like the New York Yankees and like hamburgers,
We like the Simpsons.

Here is "The Simpson's" new, 20th Anniversary opening:



2 comments:

Jeffro said...

Wow - time flies when yer havin' fun!

Most Rev. Gregori said...

Do you know what stinks? More Americans know a hell of a lot more about the Simpsons then they do about the real history of America.