Thursday, July 1, 2010

Class Dismissed

I learned late last night that an older man whom I really liked, and liked to see was relieved of his job at a local convenience store this week.

A fellow Choctaw, this man was always a pleasure to see working in the nearby E-Z Mart store nearest our house, the one near the Choctaw Hospital and clinics in Talihina.
His style was always easy and homespun, his service always prompt and complete.
The store itself was always much cleaner and shelves always dusted and full, as compared to other times when I or we had reason to pull in there.

Already, the store is a mess and the trashcans are overflowing outside.

E-Z Marts are now off my shopping/stopping list; come to think of it now, every other E-Z Mart store I've visited during my daily travels was dingy and filthy, like this little store is.

Sad. Very sad. But Talihina's "Rockin' H" store isn't that far out of the way (and has much better food~!), nor is the "B and B", or the Yanush Store, just across the road from us here.
E-Z Mart has never shown any interest whatsoever in being a part of Talihina business community, sponsoring ads in the Golden Tigers' programs or Downtown; that's another reason that most locals prefer not to shop there, if it can be helped.

I wish that fellow the best, and congratulate any employer who hires that workhorse.

8 comments:

Hatless in Hattiesburg said...

it took me a while to figure that the management of an individual store is usually more important than the brand name on it. the most obvious example is when i returned to the same ntb location after it had changed from good to questionable management. another example is the difference in some pancho's buffets locations - the south fort worth location had been the best-managed for many years, now the hurst location is better.

Most Rev. Gregori said...

I don't know your friends name, but I shall pray that he finds another job, and one that will appreciate him.

The Local Malcontent said...

I'm sure he will be fine, Abouna; I will keep an eye out for jobs for him too, and when he lands one, I'll update the news here.

ABNPOPPA said...

Hi Mal,

Good to see you back in the blog-o-sphere, even if not as regular as before. I too have dropped the ball since I went back to work full time. I NEED to get organized! Thanks for stopping by my friend and I like Abouna will pray your friend finds good, solid employment.

Shalom,
Pops

Vivienne said...

why was he relieved from his job?

The Local Malcontent said...

Vivienne, I do not know the answer to that-- only that this really nice, old clerk is no longer there.

I've not stopped into that store anymore; better places to shop and all.

Pam said...

aw bless his heart. I hope the best for him.

I'm glad to see you're still blogging. You've always had such an intriguing place to visit.I haven't been around the blog world much this past year. I hope to return more consistently.

The Local Malcontent said...

You are always a welcome guest, Pam; and your family is a most dear one to us~!

Best wishes to ya'll!