Monday, January 20, 2014

Sweet "Grapes",
Grappelli's Gone

I have to confess something really embarrassing:  
I did not know that jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli died in Paris over 
17 years ago, on December 1, 1997
Just learning that fact, today, January 20, 2014.

Who?  
You didn't really ask that, did ya?  
Don't be a dumbass like me, here~

For some musicians, style was taught. For yet others, their style of playing was handed down from their mentors.

Stephane was self taught on the violin.
An original, unparalleled and extraordinary.



Stephane Grappelli was the MOST FAMOUSEST JAZZ Violinist ever. EVER.

You've heard his versions of all the hit songs of the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, maybe:  but were unaware of the great, amazing musician playing.

I had the great, great, the breathtaking HONOR of meeting Stephane Grappelli backstage, in 1988, at a jazz concert/symposium held in Dallas, Texas. He performed with other jazz greats, Dave Brubeck and drummers Ed Shaughnessy and Buddy Rich, Winton Marsalis, others---
I have his autograph somewhere in my accumulating stuff.
He was the sweetest, kindest, and most humble celebrity I ever met.


By happenstance today, I learned of his passing so long ago. (a lesson to be learned there~!)

Mr. Stephane Grappelli, Rest In Peace;
His Greatest Hits, in my humble opinion posted here
on the Humble Malcontent bloggie
(These Will Make Your Day Brighter)

"Ain't Misbehavin"


"It Had To Be You":


and LISTEN to this One most of all, Stephane Grappelli's simply awesome rendition, of "STARDUST":


Finally, "Autumn Leaves" 
Like  a person's old age, their "autumm in life" should be.. Lively:


STEPHANE GRAPPELLI NEVER HAD OTHER THAN A WARM, GENUINE SMILE ON HIS FACE. SAYS A LOT, THAT.

No comments: