Monday, May 12, 2014

American TV's Top Second Bananas

I ran across one of the poorest, stupidest "Top 10" lists this afternoon, that I've ever read.
from somebody named Jason Hughes, who was born day before yesterday, I imagine.

Mr. Hughes posted this list in early 2009, so he has no excuse for not knowing TV better, 
since the best of Television is earlier than 2009.  

In Mr. Hughes' words, "When it came time to put together this list, I wondered if I'd be able to find ten viable and qualified bananas on the airwaves today. But I guess I needn't have worried. It looks like Barney (Barney Fife, whom Mr. Hughes considers the TV world's best second banana, earlier) was an inspiration (in more ways than one) to the current crop of second bananas. They litter their peels all over the television landscape, leaving us to trip over in laughter time and time again at their antics. But how do they stack up? Who's the biggest fruit in the tree? There's only one way to find out!"

Well, Jason Hughes's top 10 is this 
(NONE of these people I've ever watched, tilde exclamation):

10. Matthew Kimble (Hamish Linklater), The New Adventures of Old Christine
9.  Morgan Grimes (Joshua Gomez), Chuck
8.  Glenn Quagmire (Seth MacFarlane - voice), Family Guy
7.  Bert "Sock" Wysocki (Tyler Labine), Reaper
(7 minus 1).  Paula Abdul (Herself), American Idol
(4 plus 1). Randy Hickey (Ethan Suplee), My Name Is Earl
4.  Janitor, (Neil Flynn), Scrubs
3.  Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan), 30 Rock
2.  Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D. (Jim Parsons), The Big Bang Theory
Number 1 Second Banana: Barney Stinson (Neil Patrick Harris), How I Met Your Mother

It. Won't. Be. Hard. To. Beat. That. Ignorant., Lame. List. of Best TV Second Bananas.  
Please allow me to offer:

The Local Malcontent List:
 TV's Best Second Bananas:

10. "David Addison", (Bruce Willis), "Moonlighting"




9.  "Colonel Dr. Bellows", (Haydon Rourke) "I Dream of Jeannie"


8.  "Robin", (Burt Ward) "Batman"
7.  "Darrin Stevens", (Dick York) "Bewitched"
(7 minus 1).  "Barney Rubble", "The Flintstones"
(4 plus 1).  "Ricky Ricardo", (Dezi Arnez) 
"I Love Lucy"

4.  "Mr. Spock", (Leonard Nimoy) "Star Trek"

3.  "Barney Fife", (Don Knotts) "The Andy Griffith Show

2.  "Ed Norton", (Art Carney) "The Honeymooners"
*note:  Barney Rubble was a cartoon copy of Ed Norton

and the number ONE, Second BANANA OF ALL TIME IS:
Ed McMahon, "The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson"


you are correct, sir!

2 comments:

McGehee said...

David Addison is a great character, but I don't think he was second banana -- he was the male lead, opposite Cybill Shepherd.

The fact Shepherd was better known at the time doesn't take away from Bruce Willis's importance to the show and his character's relationship to Maddie Hayes.

On a side note, James Roday's portrayal of Shawn Spencer on "Psych" owed a great deal to Willis's interpretation of David Addison.

The Local Malcontent said...

You make a great point, Kevin, that causes me to reconsider #10; I agree, Addison (Willis) was every bit a lead character, but only 1/10000 as pretty as Cybill Shepherd.

Who would you replace #10 with, or how would you rate these, others?