Thursday, November 6, 2014

Little Green Men Rule~!

I have the fondest memories of playing with my troops of little green Army men for hours at a time, when I was about 8 years old.  And a package of green U.S. Army men always makes a super gift for any little boy, anywhere.

Time was, when Army men figurines were treasured items among a boy's possessions.  You traded them, you added to your troops, but most of all, you respected the tough job they each signed up for.




ROCHESTER, N.Y., (also the  home of the great Abouna, who used to visit here~) (AP) -

It's mission accomplished for little green army men.  
The molded plastic must-haves for generations of pretend soldiers were inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame on Thursday, along with the 1980s stumper Rubik's Cube, and bubbles.

The trio of toys takes its place alongside other classics including Barbie, G.I. Joe, Scrabble and the hula hoop after beating out nine other finalists including Fisher-Price Little People, American Girl dolls and My Little Pony.

The tiny monochromatic heroes have been around since 1938, with ups and downs along the way. Their popularity waned during the Vietnam War but they became big-screen stars with the 1995 Pixar movie "Toy Story" and several manufacturers continue to produce millions of them every year.

My Top of Texas Gazette friend Mike shares his memories
of his Army men:
  • "... I remember those! I got a big ol' pkg. of them when I was about eight yrs. old, too. I took them to school and my best friend Joe Bill (RIP) and I would play with them in a sheltered corner of the playground. 
  • One day he brought a magnifying glass to school and announced we should shoot one with the "death ray". I wasn't too pleased about destroying one of my green army men, but we finally decided the guy with the walkie-talkie could be sacrificed. He wound up with only some minor burns, though, because the patience needed to hold the magnifying glass still enough as well as a steady hand to focus just wasn't within the ability of young boys. 
  • I think I still have one of those men left; wonder what happened to the rest? Maybe they were victims of explosions - probably all died in the Great 4th of July battle.
  • I also had a Rat Patrol play set, complete with several jeeps and the opposing Rommel's troops and a few tanks and artillery pieces. I got a piece of plywood and glued the men and vehicles down and it looked pretty good, but of course, couldn't move them around then."
The army men were finalists two other years before making the cut this time around, offering hope to this year's also-rans, which also included Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Slip 'N Slide, the game 'Operation', paper airplanes, pots and pans, and the toy trucks sold annually since 1964 by the Hess gas station chain.

Also inducted this year into the National Toy Hall of Fame were the Rubik's Cube and soap bubbles.  Neither of which, imho, are 'toys'.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Oh, I remember those! I got a big ol' pkg. of them when I was about eight yrs. old, too. I took them to school and my best friend Joe Bill (RIP) and I would play with them in a sheltered corner of the playground.

One day he brought a magnifying glass to school and announced we should shoot one with the "death ray". I wasn't too pleased about destroying one of my green army men, but we finally decided the guy with the walkie-talkie could be sacrificed. He wound up with only some minor burns, though, because the patience needed to hold the magnifying glass still enough as well as a steady hand to focus just wasn't within the ability of young boys.

I think I still have one of those men left; wonder what happened to the rest? Maybe they were victims of explosions - probably all died in the Great 4th of July battle.

I also had a Rat Patrol play set, complete with several jeeps and the opposing Rommel's troops and a few tanks and artillery pieces. I got a piece of plywood and glued the men and vehicles down and it looked pretty good, but of course, couldn't move them around then.

The Local Malcontent said...

Wow, Mike, that episode is worth sharing here. I hope you do not mind, but I will add your memory to the post.

Thanks as always~!