Sunday, January 4, 2015

"As Cool As the Other Side of the Pillow"

Stuart Scott, a longtime anchor at ESPN, died Sunday morning at the age of 49.


Among the features of the new ESPN studio in Bristol is a wall of catchphrases made famous by on-air talent over the years. An amazing nine of them belong to one man -- from his signature "Boo-Yah!" to "As cool as the other side of the pillow" to "He must be the bus driver cuz he was takin' him to school."

That man is Stuart Scott, and his contributions to the sports lexicon are writ large. But they are only one aspect of his legacy. When he passed away, he left behind so much more. He inspired his colleagues with his sheer talent, his work ethic and his devotion to his daughters, Taelor, 19, and Sydni, 15. He defied convention and criticism to help bring this network into a new century. He spoke to the very athletes he was talking about with a flair and a style that ESPN president John Skipper says, "changed everything."

Stuart Scott made famous the catchphrases "Boo-Yah!" and "As cool as the other side of the pillow."
"He didn't just push the envelope," says sports radio host and former ESPN anchor Dan Patrick. "He bulldozed it."

Back when I watched ESPN's SportsCenter every night, whenever I saw Mr. Stuart Scott on the set, I knew that I was in for a great, entertaining half-hour of sports coverage-- didn't matter if it was only golf and hockey, it would be memorable because of this well-versed, entertaining man.
Buckle yer seat beat time~!
I had no idea that he was suffering from cancer; stunned this morning, seeing the news of his death.

Rest in peace, Mr. Scott, America has lost a talented, knowledgeable buddy, in your death.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Listening to sports talk radio ahead of the Cowboys game later and they talked about him earlier today. The name was familiar, but I quit watching ESPN - for the most part- a long time ago and gave up cable a couple of months back.

That said, it would explain why I didn't know he'd made the phrase "As cool as the other side of the pillow." famous. I'm not really sure he made it famous - I remember it being used to describe Steve McQueen for one and I've heard it many times since then.

I started to make a snarky remark about how he might have been a great sports broadcaster, but he couldn't spell: "...his daughters, Taelor, 19, and Sydni, 15." Unusual spelling aside, what folks want to name their kids is their own business, none of mine. At least it wasn't "Apple" or "Moon Unit".

Plus, I remembered a friend's daughter whom they named "Trinidee" After the girl was born, I commented that it was a different kind of spelling and asked if there was some significance to it. My pal's wife said her grandmother had lived there, down in S. Texas and she always liked the name. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was "TRINITY".