Saturday, January 24, 2015

Bingo to Bango to Bilko


"My philosophy about race relations is that I'm the man and I'll set my own patterns in life. I don't rely on anyone else's opinions. I look at a man as a human being; I don't care about his color. Some people feel that because you are black you will never be treated fairly, and that you should voice your opinions, be militant about them. I don't feel this way. You can't convince a fool against his will... 
If a man doesn't like me because I'm black, that's fine. 
I'll just go elsewhere, but I'm not going to let him 
change my life."


Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks has passed away at age 83.  I never saw him play, but man I've heard about him.  In the 1950s, he was the equivalent to an Ozzie Smith or Yankee captain Derek Jeter, from the sports clips that I've watched, of his talent at short.

I'm sure that the Chicago Cubs will do something nice in his honor at Wrigley this year, maybe have a winning season; it will be impressive, just as Mr. Banks himself always was.

The reference I make in the title of this post, is to the way  Cubs announcer Bert Wilson referred to the Banks-Baker-Bilko double play combination: "Bingo to Bango to Bilko".  In 1954, Banks' double play partner during his official rookie season was Gene Baker, the second Cubs black player. Banks and Baker roomed together on road trips and became the first all-black double-play combination in major league history.  

No comments: