Sunday, September 13, 2015

So, What Is A "Beguine",
In The First Place~?


Artie Shaw's brilliant rendition of "Begin the Beguine", below is such a glorious Big Band number, but I always wondered what a "beguine" was.

... Now I know.
And I want to share it with you.  It is a very beautiful, a very sensual dance between two lovers, originating "from West India' (YEAH, NOT  (maybe the West Indies)).

You've seen the Beguine dance before on the big screen, but just maybe never knew it's name.  So below, I present first Artie Shaw and his band playing "Begin the Beguine";
In the middle, the unparalleled tenor, Mario Lanza singing the most Latin "Begin the Beguine";
Then last, the Beguine dance itself.

(since we don't watch ABC, "dancing with the stars" prob'ly's already defined this dance,
 I don't know)








No comments: