Monday, August 29, 2016

How to Peel an Onion
On A Crowded Train
Among Strangers, and
Still Be Popular

It seems impossible, but it can be done.  Cue the Gypsies?!

Viva film français~!



Immediate UPDATE:
My wife, she is so sharp!!  Leti noticed a couple of things in this portion of a French film from YouTube here that I missed.

Leti pointed out that in the "credits" at the beginning, Louis Armstrong's name and caricature is featured, HOWEVER, the photograph behind "Louis Armstrong", is a woman, not Louis!
Second, that there is a strong hint of pedophilia, when Django looks back at the boy seated next to him, then the camera highlights his middle-finger on the guitar neck, closeup.
Is that lust in his eye?

I don't know, I have no opinion on that~  She's right about the Louis Armstrong picture thingie.
Also, where the heck is the xylophone player in that train compartment? Inquiring minds~!!

**********************
AFTER FURTHER REVIEW:  
This play has been overturned, or whatever:

I decided to take a closer look at this YouTube video and do a little research; here's what I found:

One, "la route du bonheur" is not a French film, but a French adaptation of an Italian film,
"Saluti e baci" from 1953.  NOT A VINTAGE YEAR FOR ITALIAN FILMS.

From WikiPedia, this commentary about 'Saluti e Baci':
Saluti e baci or Love and Kisses, is a film which deals with charity appeals a long time before the humanitarian appeals of Band Aid or Chanteurs Sans Frontières of the 1980s. In the film, a group of singers get together en masse to help those less fortunate than themselves, something which would later be seen in the Enfoirés who formed Les Restos du Cœur.

Layer upon layer of that onion peeled here, now.  
And eaten. 

Am I still 'popular'??
I'm really, truly, kind of sorry that I ever posted this now~



1 comment:

The Local Malcontent said...

Aha, you have reached the inner layer of the Onion. Welcome.

I doubt that 1 out of 2,000 readers will have reached this far into my 'Onion Layer' post, but you did,
so CONGRATULATIONS!! YOU are the winner.

The original intent of my post was to highlight Django Reinhart, a Gypsy guitarist whom I like. But the little girl in the train who peels the onion to eat, first disturbed my wife, who commented to me, then I looked further and further, lower and lower into the onion layers, to discover even more dirty little secrets to this video.

IS THERE AN EVEN DEEPER LAYER OF THIS ONION?
that depends upon you, you wise and observant reader;
{WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO OFFER}