Saturday, July 22, 2017

It Started With Me and Roberta Flack, ...



Way back in 1990, I worked as a college DJ at Oklahoma City College (FM 89.9), as I was a junior at nearby Oklahoma University in Norman.  

I had applied to be a DJ at KGOU, like my best friend James Collins did, at the OU station, but was told that I was #31 on the waiting list to have a weekend show or whatever...  James made it, and had a very fine, long run at KGOU.  I had another good friend from Oklahoma City back then, Jospeh Troxel, a student at OCC, Oklahoma City Community College, and he urged me to forward a little demo tape to the head of KOCC.  

I did, and was accepted to host a 3 hour-radio show, 2 nights a week, Fridays and Saturdays, on KOCC, FM-89.9.  I was the late night, weekend voice of "Conscience Surroundings" radio show,
from 10 pm until 1 am there on KOCC, beginning on the night of April 6, 1990,
until May 8, 1991, just before my graduation from OU.

While I played mostly 'new age' music and light jazz eventually for a year+,

For the 1st three shows that I hosted, I began my week-end radio show each night,
With this romantic gem about a voice and his songs, from Roberta Flack:



And now, whenever I hear Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly", I remember my first, frightening night behind a radio microphone, two turntables in front of me, and being my own producer, way back in 1990~

"We're in the dark of night.... in OKC ...
this is FM 89.9, and your're alone with me,
the Owl...., on  KOCC"  WAS MY PHRASE

No comments: